[ltp] Fan always on problem... does it happen on R52 with the Intel Media Graphics card?

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:28:13 -0700

So wrote Eben King on Saturday, 13 August 2005:
> Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 18:00:57 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com>
> To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
> Subject: Re: [ltp] Fan always on problem... does it happen on R52 with the
>  Intel Media Graphics card?
>

> > > I'm thinking about buying an R52. I was pretty sure that this was the
> > > laptop I needed but then I read about the "fan always on" problem
> >
> > I've just got an ThinkPad R52 test laptop (i915 graphics), running it under
> > all the supplied Windows configurations, the fan appears to be permanently
> > on.
> >
> > I would far prefer it to come at full speed for a minute and stay off for
> > the next ten.
>
> Don't think it can do that.  It can't be cooled past room temperature by a
> fan alone, and that's probably not cool enough to last ten minutes uncooled.

It can.  The right underside of the laptop, underneath where the CPU is,
is now almost room temperature.  Before I bought this cooler it used to
be pretty hot.  Previous to this I had it on a little platform and had
it propped up slightly in the back to allow air to get under it, but it
would still be hot.  Its amazing the difference this laptop cooler
makes.