[ltp] Fan always on problem... does it happen on R52 with the Intel Media Gr

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:24:03 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Ovidiu Achim wrote:

> 3088 is the speed of the fan and it's the lowest. Higher speeds are
> 3500 or 3700 reached when GPU temperature get higher than 62 C for
> example. The fan is off when the the value reported is 'off'.

This makes me wonder if the ibm_manage_fan script should be based on
GPU temperature, rather than CPU...?  But I would have thought IBM
would base fan behaviour on the most critical thing that might melt,
which would be the CPU, rather than the graphics card, right?

If the GPU's more critical and preferable to measure by, then it'd be
pretty simple to change the script to use GPU temperature with
ibm-acpi 0.11:

-set `cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/temperature`
+set `cat /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal | cut -d' ' -f4`

But why are IBM using GPU temperature as the critical measure to
control the fan?

Honey