[ltp] Fan always on problem... does it happen on R52 with the Intel Media Gr

Paul RIVIER linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 14:36:05 +0200

> This makes me wonder if the ibm_manage_fan script should be based on
> GPU temperature, rather than CPU...?  But I would have thought IBM
> would base fan behaviour on the most critical thing that might melt,
> which would be the CPU, rather than the graphics card, right?

When I wrote this script, I wondered what temp I should monitor.
Actualy, I found that GPU temp heavily depends on CPU temp. Seems to me
that heat pipe is shared, or air flow go first through CPU, next through
GPU. In both case, I get satisfying behavior using CPU temp only (I
monitor all temperatures).
Does anyone know any application that use GPU at 100% and no cpu at all
? That may be THE dangerous case.
Thanks

Paul