[ltp] Preferred distro for Thinkpads?

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:04:12 +0100

Jaime Iniesta wrote:
> Hi, I'm currently a Fedora Core 4 user on my PC. I'm thinking about trying a
> different distro on my new Thinkpad R52.
>
> I would like to know what distros are you using, and if there is a "best
> distro" for Thinkpads. I'm thinking about installing Debian Sarge, maybe
> Ubuntu.

Personally, I like Mandrake; I've heard good things about Ubuntu.
However, if you make sure that you partition things carefully, you can
make the process much easier.

Eg 1:

/  /home  swap

This means you can reinstall onto / without messing up your data. (If
you really want to see how the different distros work, you may want to
create a new user for each distro, since the defaults for $HOME will differ)

Eg 2:

/  /home swap  /spare

Then, install the new distro (or upgrade) onto /spare without destroying
your existing install.

If you are really careful, and arrange / and /spare to be adjacent
partitions, you will be able to merge them later if you wish.

I hope this is a useful suggestion. Good luck!

Regards

Richard