[ltp] Preferred distro for Thinkpads?

Florian Trippel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:56:06 +0200

------=_Part_3645_4292953.1124038566369

I also use gentoo (T43p). It is because, using all features of your T43p=20
requires a good part of compilation, you have to be familiar with kernels=
=20
and patching, ... So an entire source distro is likely to be more=20
comfortable then. I would not mind about the performane issue, since it wil=
l=20
not give you more than 1-2% on average compared to binary distros. Since yo=
u=20
can entirely specify your own compilation flags, you are also in danger to=
=20
break binaries by too much optimisation and remember you are unlikely an=20
expert for compilation flags, so the big distros have huge compilation=20
clusters and have experts set the flags! I just like gentoo, because=20
everything is so from scratch. It takes a time, but you definitely know wha=
t=20
software is installed ... you have the full control, the advantages and=20
disadvantages, eventually it is your responsibility whether the system runs=
=20
or not.

------=_Part_3645_4292953.1124038566369

I also use gentoo (T43p). It is because, using all features of your
T43p requires a good part of compilation, you have to be familiar with
kernels and patching, ... So an entire source distro is likely to be
more comfortable then. I would not mind about the performane issue,
since it will not give you more than 1-2% on average compared to binary
distros. Since you can entirely specify your own compilation flags, you
are also in danger to break binaries by too much optimisation and
remember you are unlikely an expert for compilation flags, so the big
distros have huge compilation clusters and have experts set the flags!
I just like gentoo, because everything is so from scratch. It takes a
time, but you definitely know what software is installed ... you have
the full control, the advantages and disadvantages, eventually it is
your responsibility whether the system runs or not.<br>

------=_Part_3645_4292953.1124038566369--