[ltp] A22p - ethernet weirdness (connection dies every 5 min; fixed by unplug/replug)

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:57:08 +0100

Dear All,

I wonder whether anyone can advise me what is causing my thinkpad to
lose its ethernet connection regularly?

Symptom: Every so often (maybe every 5 mins, sometimes more frequently,
sometimes not for half an hour), the ethernet (inbuilt, eth0) connection
dies.

Diagnostics:
I have a ping process running constantly, pinging a machine on the local
network. Sometimes the packets just don't return; sometimes I get
"destination host unreachable"

Even in the "broken" state, ifplugstatus still reports "link beat
detected". Likewise, the green (LINK) LED next to the network port
remains on, and the amber (ACT) LED keeps flashing. ifconfig doesn't
report any errors. tcpdump goes completely silent.

Unplugging and then re-plugging the network cable (after about 1 second)
fixes the problem, albeit temporarily.

I assumed that it might be a dodgy network cable, or a dodgy socket on
the back of the thinkpad. However, I've tried different cables, and when
I unplug the cable, I am unplugging it from the wall end. (I also tried
different wall-sockets).

I've also seen this problem when I take the thinkpad to hotels,
(although I'm not sure I have ever observed it when the thinkpad is
directly plugged into another pc via a crossover cable).

I'm using Mandrake 10.2 - in the default configuration. Previously, I
had 9.1, and for the last 6 months, I have had this problem.

Could it be a hardware issue? If not, could it be something weird in the
OS? Or could it be the switch that the thinkpad is connected to? [If the
latter, is this a common enough problem that it might have occurred in
other networks?]

Thanks for your suggestions

Richard

P.S. I just power-cycled the network switch, and the thinkpad has stayed
connected for the last 10 minutes...which may - or may not - be a
coincidence. If it is the solution, why are the other machines connected
to the same switch not experiencing the same problem?