[ltp] Preferred distro for Thinkpads?

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:59:21 -0700

On Sunday 14 August 2005 07:46 am, Jaime Iniesta wrote:
> Hi, I'm currently a Fedora Core 4 user on my PC. I'm thinking about trying
> a different distro on my new Thinkpad R52.
>
> I would like to know what distros are you using, and if there is a "best
> distro" for Thinkpads. I'm thinking about installing Debian Sarge, maybe
> Ubuntu.

Ubuntu was a spectacular failure on my 600x. I tried installing it yesterday
and it froze at the GNOME desktop before the icons and menus popped up.
However, Knoppix booted the system just fine, and Debian Sarge has been sweet
on my 600e.

Another possibility is SuSE. SuSE has been rumored to work on ThinkPads right
out of the box, and it has been the distro IBM has put on the very few
ThinkPads they have shipped with Linux. SuSE has gone the way of Fedora and
released a "community" version recently. You might want to consider that.

Take care,
Michelle
--
Michelle Klein-Hass