[ltp] Preferred distro for Thinkpads?

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:10:36 +0100

Alejandro Bonilla Beeche wrote:

> I have debian Sid. Sarge will do good or Ubuntu. It supports all
> Thinkpad features that any other Distro does.
>
> Think about it this way. My PC with Debian, boot on 34 seconds, with
> FC4, it takes almost 2 minutes. Yoo choose.

Is that because Debian is actually more efficient, or is it because by
default, FC4 installs more services? ie. if you spend a few minutes with
chkconfig --del on FC4 stopping things you don't need, is the
performance comparable? I should have expected that Debian would be less
efficient - since (iirc), it is still compiled for i386, whereas (iirc),
  Fedora is compiled for i586 and above only.

Richard