[ltp] Preferred distro for Thinkpads?

Jaime Iniesta linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:40:34 +0200

------=_Part_3727_706652.1124116834871

I'm not sure between Ubuntu and Debian. I tried Ubuntu once and I liked it.=
=20
What I didn't like at all is all that "sudo" thing, I mean, I prefer the=20
standard way where there is a clear distinction between normal users and=20
root. Can this be disabled in Ubuntu?

Jaime

2005/8/15, Charles E. Rick Taylor, IV <tomalek@mindspring.com>:
>=20
> On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 11:38 +0200, Jaime Iniesta wrote:
> > I'll try Debian on the Thinkpad, not because I'm not happy with FC4,
> > but because I want to try another distro, just to learn about it.
>=20
> I'd try Ubuntu first if I were you. Unless you *like* pain. :)
>=20
> (I'm probably jumping ship to Ubuntu after the current Fedora goes
> end-of-life. On a test machine, Ubuntu was MUCH less hassle than Fedora
> Core to get working on a laptop - even though I know my way around
> Redhat distros much better than I do Debian distros.)
>=20
> --
> * Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <tomalek@mindspring.com>
> * Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
>=20

--=20

Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit=E1n planeta
email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/

------=_Part_3727_706652.1124116834871

I'm not sure between Ubuntu and Debian. I tried Ubuntu once and I liked
it. What I didn't like at all is all that &quot;sudo&quot; thing, I mean, I
prefer the standard way where there is a clear distinction between
normal users and root. Can this be disabled in Ubuntu?<br>
Jaime<br>
 IV &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tomalek@mindspring.com">tomalek@mindspring.com</a=
>&gt;:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px so=
lid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 11:38 +0200, Jaime Iniesta wrote:<br>&gt; I'll try De=
bian on the Thinkpad, not because I'm not happy with FC4,<br>&gt; but becau=
se I want to try another distro, just to learn about it.<br><br>I'd try Ubu=
ntu first if I were you.&nbsp;&nbsp;Unless you *like* pain. :)
br>end-of-life.&nbsp;&nbsp;On a test machine, Ubuntu was MUCH less hassle t=
han Fedora<br>Core to get working on a laptop - even though I know my way a=
round<br>
p;Charles E. &quot;Rick&quot; Taylor, IV &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tomalek@mind=
spring.com">
tomalek@mindspring.com</a>&gt;<br>*&nbsp;&nbsp;Chemistry instructor / Mad s=