[ltp] SXGA+ versus XGA resolution, any suggestions?

Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:28:00 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:53, honey@gneek.com wrote:
>
>> But I really need an xterm that can kick off
>> multiple tabs at startup time (gnome-terminal --tab ... --tab ...) -
>> can konsole or any others do this?  Wasn't obvious to me.
>
> I use KDE desktop, I have a Konsole with three tabs open.  If I restart the
> machine, Konsole comes up with three tabs open again.  Is that what you mean?

I don't use KDE a lot - but what I do with gnome-terminal is define a
command icon to do something like:

gnome-terminal --geometry=80x50+156+57 --tab -e "screen -D -RR" \
                --tab -e "ssh -t remotehost -Y screen -D -RR"

- so kicking off different login sessions in different tabs.  Coupled
with specific ~/.screenrc's on local and remotehost (including a
ssh-ask on localhost) this is a nice way of running many different
sessions in one window - ctrl-A to swap between sessions in each tab,
ctrl-pgdown to swap between tabs.  If there's a way to do this in
konsole, that'd be great,

>> Bret, what difference does setting DisplaySize make in xorg.conf?
>> I've never used it, and never noticed a problem: interested what it
>> does for you?
>
> Pixels are pixels, but font point sizes are physical measurements.  If X knows
> the physical size of the display, it scales the various items it displays to
> be their proper physical size on screen.  Those numbers are the horizontal
> and vertical screen size in millimeters.
>
> If I have a 12" 1024x768 display, and a 14" 1024x768 display, and don't tell X
> about the sizes, it will go by a default, and the 12" will have the same
> number of rows, same number of pixels per font cell.  If I tell X the
> physical size, it will use an appropriate proportion of pixels to make the
> font cells, and the characters will come out the same size - fewer on the
> 12", but then, it's smaller.  There should be fewer characters of a given
> point size on a physically smaller display.
>
> Try it before you decide - this has fixed some ugly font display problems I
> have had in one swell foop.

Hmm thanks.  My screen looks great without, so I can't imagine how
it could improve (so I guess it's making the right guess?), but nice
if it can - I'll try.

Honey