[ltp] Re: Preferred distro for Thinkpads?

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:07:40 -0400

Daniel Pittman wrote:
> James Knott <james.knott@rogers.com> writes:
>>Jaime Iniesta wrote:
>>>Thanks everybody, I'm happy with FC4 despite the fact it takes 2 minutes
>>>to start on my PC, due to all the services it starts at boot time.
>>>
>>>I'll try Debian on the Thinkpad, not because I'm not happy with FC4, but
>>>because I want to try another distro, just to learn about it.
>>Last week, I installed Debian on a Toshiba notebook.  After that
>>experience, I'm glad I run SuSE.
>
> In the vague hope of doing something useful in this thread, what
> problems did you run into?  That way, maybe Debian can fix them and you
> can have a less painful experience next time. ;)

Not so much problems, as it's very crude compared to SuSe.  For example,
I was installing on a computer that had one huge (100 MB) partition for
Windows.  In SuSE, the partitioner can shrink such a partition to make
room for the Linux install.  Instead, I had to exit the install and then
boot with my trusty, rusty system rescue CD, to run qt-parted.  After I
had made space, I then had to restart the install.  Then once Debian was
up and running, I couldn't find any tool, similar to Yast, for
configuring the system.