[ltp] Preferred distro for Thinkpads?

Jaime Iniesta linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:11:06 +0200

------=_Part_3791_12294566.1124122266600

Mmmm... the sudo thing on Ubuntu does not look like a bad idea after readin=
g=20
this. Still, I'm more used to the distinction between root and common=20
users...

On Fedora+Gnome, being a normal user you can still access to root-only=20
programs like system-config-*... you just click on the icon and then you're=
=20
prompted for root password. I think it's similar on Ubuntu, you're asked fo=
r=20
your user password to gain root access with that program. Is it that way=20
also on Debian Sarge?

Jaime

2005/8/15, Charles E. Rick Taylor, IV <tomalek@mindspring.com>:
>=20
> On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 16:40 +0200, Jaime Iniesta wrote:
> > I'm not sure between Ubuntu and Debian. I tried Ubuntu once and I
> > liked it. What I didn't like at all is all that "sudo" thing, I mean,
> > I prefer the standard way where there is a clear distinction between
> > normal users and root. Can this be disabled in Ubuntu?
>=20
> Seems pretty easy to set up a "normal" root user.
>=20
> http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/faq/root
>=20
> ... but for a personal laptop, the sudo stuff isn't actually all that
> bad. It makes it easier to work on a system where you actually need
> root access frequently, but don't actually run as root all the time.
>=20
> I will admit that the lack of a root account confused me a bit when I
> first installed Ubuntu on my test machine - having come from a
> Redhat/Slackware background.
>=20
> [rant mode]
> I am used to Fedora, but d*mn if they don't make it hard to use on a
> laptop. Want suspend-to-ram to work without turning off 3D accel?
> Patch and recompile the X server and kernel. Want suspend-to-disk to
> work? Patch the kernel and recompile. Want speedstep to work
> correctly? Load a kernel module, disable that userspace CPU junk that
> Fedora ships with. Waving a dead chicken around might help, too.
> [/rant mode]
>=20
> Okay, I'm better now. Really. :)
>=20
> --
> * Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <tomalek@mindspring.com>
> * Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
>=20

--=20

Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit=E1n planeta
email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/

------=_Part_3791_12294566.1124122266600

Mmmm... the sudo thing on Ubuntu does not look like a bad idea after
reading this. Still, I'm more used to the distinction between root and
common users...<br>
On Fedora+Gnome, being a normal user you can still access to root-only
programs like system-config-*... you just click on the icon and then
you're prompted for root password. I think it's similar on Ubuntu,
you're asked for your user password to gain root access with that
program. Is it that way also on Debian Sarge?<br>
Jaime<br>
 IV &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tomalek@mindspring.com">tomalek@mindspring.com</a=
>&gt;:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px so=
lid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 16:40 +0200, Jaime Iniesta wrote:<br>&gt; I'm not sur=
e between Ubuntu and Debian. I tried Ubuntu once and I<br>&gt; liked it. Wh=
at I didn't like at all is all that &quot;sudo&quot; thing, I mean,<br>
&gt; I prefer the standard way where there is a clear distinction between<b=
r>&gt; normal users and root. Can this be disabled in Ubuntu?<br><br>Seems =
pretty easy to set up a &quot;normal&quot; root user.<br><br><a href=3D"htt=
p://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/faq/root">
ut for a personal laptop, the sudo stuff isn't actually all that<br>bad.&nb=
sp;&nbsp;It makes it easier to work on a system where you actually need<br>=
root access frequently, but don't actually run as root all the time.
 I<br>first installed Ubuntu on my test machine - having come from a<br>Red=
mn if they don't make it hard to use on a
ccel?<br>Patch and recompile the X server and kernel.&nbsp;&nbsp;Want suspe=
nd-to-disk to<br>work?&nbsp;&nbsp;Patch the kernel and recompile.&nbsp;&nbs=
p;Want speedstep to work<br>correctly?&nbsp;&nbsp;Load a kernel module, dis=
able that userspace CPU junk that
--------------<br>*&nbsp;&nbsp;Charles E. &quot;Rick&quot; Taylor, IV &lt;