[ltp] SXGA+ versus XGA resolution, any suggestions?

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:25:13 -0400

On Monday 15 August 2005 11:28, after a long battle with technology,
honey@gneek.com wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:53, honey@gneek.com wrote:
> >> But I really need an xterm that can kick off
> >> multiple tabs at startup time (gnome-terminal --tab ... --tab ...)
> >> - can konsole or any others do this?
> > I use KDE desktop, I have a Konsole with three tabs open.  If I
> > restart the machine, Konsole comes up with three tabs open again.
> > Is that what you mean?
> I don't use KDE a lot - but what I do with gnome-terminal is define a
> command icon to do something like:
> gnome-terminal --geometry=80x50+156+57 --tab -e "screen -D -RR" \
>                 --tab -e "ssh -t remotehost -Y screen -D -RR"

Start konsole.  Set stuff up the way you want it--fonts, number of tabs,
what's running in the tabs, window position, etcetera.  Settings->Save
Sessions Profile.  You'll get asked for a filename.  The sessions
profile will be saved to ~/.kde/share/apps/konsole/profiles/ .  Then
you can start a konsole exactly like the one you saved with the
-profile option to konsole.  The profile file is plaintext (of course)
and it's pretty obvious to see what's up if you look at it.

> >> Bret, what difference does setting DisplaySize make in xorg.conf?
> > Pixels are pixels, but font point sizes are physical measurements.
> > If X knows the physical size of the display, it scales the various
> > items it displays to be their proper physical size on screen.
> > Those numbers are the horizontal and vertical screen size in
> > millimeters.
> Hmm thanks.  My screen looks great without, so I can't imagine how
> it could improve (so I guess it's making the right guess?), but nice
> if it can - I'll try.

IME, if X sets the pitch at anything other than 75x75 DPI, the fonts
start to suck ass.  YMMV though.

--
   Some people are alive only because it is traditional to keep
   torturing the poor guy about being lost in the machine room with an