[ltp] Preferred distro for Thinkpads?

Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:35:44 -0400

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 18:11 +0200, Jaime Iniesta wrote:
> On Fedora+Gnome, being a normal user you can still access to root-only
> programs like system-config-*... you just click on the icon and then
> you're prompted for root password.

The main annoyance there for single-users, I think, is the issue of
remembering two passwords.  Even if you set them to the same thing,
changing the password requires doing it twice.  (It doesn't bother *me*,
but I've been running Linux long enough to be used to it.)  With the
Ubuntu setup, you only have to worry about the one password.

Of course, it appears to be almost trivially easy to switch to a more
traditional root account setup - so it's probably not that big of an
issue.

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/