[ltp] gain exclusive access to disk?

Josh Battles linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:21:53 -0500 (CDT)

So after reading up on Ubuntu at the recommendation of the list here I
decided that I'd take the time and get it installed last night.  Well,
progress stopped almost immediately because I can't seem to make room for it
on my drive.  I make the changes with partition magic 8 and then when I
reboot so that it can apply my changes I get "error 27: cannot lock drive."
After spending some time with google I find out that you've got to disable
the recovery partition in the bios, so I do that and try to run it again to
no avail.  I then disabled the security chip as well as Norton AV, but am
still unable to gain exclusive access to the drive so that PM8 can resize the
NTFS partition.  What am I missing here?

(I've got a T42 if that matters)

Cliffs for those with ADD:
1. decide to install Ubuntu on my T42 last night
2. disable predesktop area as well as security chip
3. unable to "lock" disk in PM8 so I cannot resize partition
4. disable NAV
5. still unable to gain exclusive access to drive
6. what am I missing?

Thanks in advance

--
- Josh