[ltp] Re: Preferred distro for Thinkpads?

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:18:44 +1200

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:57, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Dillon Lawson <dillon@phasefour.net> writes:
> > I second Gentoo as the best os for a Thinkpad, it has the best support
> > with forums and wiki's.  Installing Gentoo really lets you know
> > _everything_ about your system.
>
> I am, personally, unconvinced that watching software compile grants any
> sort of magical knowledge of how it operates, or the best way to
> configure it. ;)
I agree, but seeing the software compile and configuring it reinforces your
knowledge about what s/w you have installed on your machine.

> > Tho the install is time consuming but once thats done it will be
> > faster then any Thinkpad using binary packages out there.  Who know
> > where those Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, or Suse packages were built.....
>
> Have you actually /measured/ a performance difference between Gentoo
> packages and packages compiled on Debian, Fedora, etc, or do you simply
> assume that they are faster?
Gentoo is perceptably faster for certain apps, but the percentage is small and
probably not of much relevance.

The very real advantages Gentoo offers are the incredibly friendly and helpful
#gentoo* irc channels on freenode. The quality of the Gentoo documentation
which is simply outstanding. The wealth of knowledge in the Wiki and Forums.
The portage system seems to have gotton the incredibly complex net of package
dependencies properly sorted out. Of course there are a few errors, but they
are few and far between, and are sorted out remarkable quickly. Like an hour
and 20 mins for my simple dependency bug report to be actioned and
registerered into cvs.

I have been using Linux for nearly 10 years, Gentoo is the fifth distro I have
used and currently I do not intend to change.

With the release of the experimental GUI Installer a day or to ago Gentoo will
become considerably more 'approachable'. It will be interesting to see how
that changes the support situation.

--
CS