[ltp] T21 battery charging and draining problems

Tom Adelstein linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:51:02 -0500

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 18:25 -0600, Kevin Locke wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 16:13 -0500, Tom Adelstein wrote:
> > ACPI doesn't work at all with the T21. In fact, you'll want to add
> > acpi=no to your bootloader.
>
> I apologize if this sounds a bit presumptuous coming from a relative
> newbie, but I strongly disagree.  I have had ACPI running on my T21
> since I bought it (about a year ago), and it has been wonderful.  I
> admit that I have not yet been successful with S3 suspend, but swsusp2
> is adequate for me.  After installing and configuring ibm-acpi, ACPI
> events are registered (and acted on by acpid), battery and temperature
> status are reported, even the ThinkLight works.  To see exactly what
> others have working check the ThinkWiki and ibm-acpi compatibility
> matrix.
>
> Some people on this list have reported problems with ACPI and the 3Com
> network card; so if the problem affects you, apm seems to be the
> solution.  However, my 3Com network card works just fine with ACPI
> (using a Debian-patched kernel, 2.6.10 atm).  I have also not noticed
> the battery problems that have been reported on some T21s (but I do have
> cpufreqd configured a bit conservatively).
>
> Best of luck,
> Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for the references. My understanding of the hardware sub-systems
must be different from yours. My model doesn't have an ACPI subsystem.
It uses an APM enabled bios. When I turned acpi off, then everything
worked using apm commands enabled in configure-thinkpad which uses
tpctl.

I saw the matrix at http://ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net/. Some T21's must
have acpi in the bios, my just doesn't.

Good luck.