[ltp] Re: Managing network connections

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:09:16 +1000

James Knott <james.knott@rogers.com> writes:
> Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> Greg Kimberly <lists@gak.com> writes:
>>
>>>This discusion of the "best distro" reminds me of my main issue in
>>>running linux my T41 - managing network connections. I'm dual booting
>>>into Suse and haven't found a good tool for managing network
>>>connections - especially constantly changing WiFi ones.  (A Suse rep
>>>at OSCon this month could only suggest using Yast to remove the wifi
>>>adapter and then adding it in again with a new WEP key - not ideal.)
>>>
>>>What are folks using? In there any tool out there akin to the IBM
>>>connections manager?
>>
>> If you want a GUI tool, the *only* thing I am (distantly) aware of is
>> that recent KDE releases include a wireless configuration manager
>> similar to what you find in Windows, etc.
>
> Are you referring to KWiFiMangager (also in the Control Center)?  If so,
> it doesn't work.

Oh.  How disappointing.  In this case, I simply relay comments from
others that KDE has a working and useful wireless network configuration
tool.

Another comment in this thread suggests that this may, in fact, be
something that is still in their subversion repository, and not yet
available as part of a released KDE environment.

Anyhow, if KWiFiMangager doesn't work, in what way does it fail?

        Daniel