[ltp] gain exclusive access to disk?

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:25:54 -0400

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 10:13, after a long battle with technology,
Josh Battles wrote:
> Josh Battles said:
> > I make the changes with partition magic 8 and then when I reboot so
> > that it can apply my changes I get "error 27: cannot lock drive."

Why do you need PQMagic to resize partitions?  Use ntfsresize or FIPS;
they work well and avoid all the bugs you get in PQMagic.

> > I then disabled the security chip as well as Norton AV, but
> > am still unable to gain exclusive access to the drive so that PM8
> > can resize the NTFS partition.  What am I missing here?

You're trying to use PQMagic.  That's usually a bad move.  Norton
anything these days is also usually a bad move; their utilities'
quality has gone downhill.

> Nobody here can help me with this?

See above.  If you have an NTFS partition to resize, use ntfsresize; it
works fine according to the reports I've seen on col.*.

--
   This is my rifle, this is my GNU
   This is for fighting, this is for $FOO!