[ltp] Active Protection System

Alejandro Bonilla Beeche linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:26:10 -0600

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 17:16 +0100, Richard Neill wrote:

> Alejandro Bonilla Beeche wrote:
>   > 	The code included in head_park actually works for most HD that have the
> > correct firmware and that quite actually work with HDAPS in Windows.
> > Yes, we need to add a timeout for the code at least right now that parks
> > the head for a certain amount of time. This is at the moment the key
> > that is holding us back. We already found a nice way to actually make a
> > daemon know when it should kick in. I'm still static in thinking that I
> > should add some laptop_mode features when we encounter soft movement on
> > the laptop. It will not park the head with soft movement, but will only
> > launch laptop_mode and then make things run in buffer and so... If
> > heavier movement is found, then we apply the head_park that should be
> > fixed. I will ask LKML now.
>
> I've tried this in Windows - by default, the system is so sensitive that
> the laptop cannot be used in a car. This means that many users will just
> disable it.

You can change the sensitivity, I use this in my car a lot because I use
my PC as my MusicBox :), I have done Windows and Linux, laptop_mode in
Linux while in car rulz!

> A way to work around this might be to store the average amplitude over
> the last 5 seconds. Then, if we are already vibrating, turn down the
> sensitivity a bit. But if we are on a flat surface, such as a table top,
> we can have the maximum sensitivity and protection.
>
> Another idea: in some situations, could be a useful anti-theft device.
Excellent idea. But this should be selected by the user. A lot of users
like me move the laptop all over the house on the day, work, bed and so
on.

It is a nice future feature.

.Alejandro