[ltp] Thinkpad APM Support

Andrew Jesaitis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:44:37 -0600

honey@gneek.com wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005, Andrew Jesaitis wrote:
>
>> Then I restarted the acpi daemon.  I tried the blank screen hotkey.
>> No dice. I also reconfigured the ./event sleep script to call my
>> (actually the niemueller) sleep script in ./action and I didn't get
>> it to work.  Any ideas?? Thanks,
>

> Oh, and if it's Fedora, or some other distro with SELinux enabled,
> it may be getting in the way.  For Fedora, try it after "setenforce
> 0" - if it works, it's SELinux (setenforce 1 to turn it back on).
>
> Don't just disable SELinux globally, or at least only turn it off
> for acpid - it will certainly get in the way of swsusp2/suspend2.
> To do this in Fedora, system-config-securitylevel, which just changes
> a boolean value in /etc/selinux/targeted/booleans.local - this may
> be helpful for other distros, dunno.

SELinux is getting in the way of certain ACPI functions (blanking the
screen and swusp2).  Anyway, I changed the system-config-securtiylevel
file directly, but that didn't seem to help.  If I disable SELinux
globally things work fine, but this probably isn't the best solution.  I
think that the screen blanking command xset -display :0 dpms force
standby uses the tcp port.  So I guess I could disable that (anyone know
its port number?) and I haven't played around too much with the swusp2
so I don't know what I would need to disable there.

One completely unrelated question that is really easy...is there an
"open as root" command in gnome because its a little annoying to have my
email acct under one user and have to log in as root to change locked files.

-A