[ltp] Re: Managing network connections

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:44:59 +1000

--=-=-=

Andr=E9 Wyrwa <a.wyrwa@gmx.de> writes:

[... wpa_supplicant hints ...]

> Just a few more questions:
>
> As i understand you, wpa_supplicant runs a daemon that waits for the
> network interface to become active and THEN configures the keys.

Yes.  This is, in part, because wpa_supplicant /chooses/ the keys based
on the network.  For me, there are two typical networks I use, and both
have WPA-PSK with completely different keys...

> I take it there is no way to actually make wpa_supplicant watch the
> network interface and initialize network configuration as waproamd
> did?

That should happen, as I understand it, while your wireless card is up
and scanning for network.

wpa_supplicant will then configured the network keys as appropriate,
when the association changes, and things will just work.

> I would just like to have a daemon to trigger a change in available
> access points independent of interface configuration and signal that to
> some script, i.e. by passing the preferred available ESSID. Is that
> possible with wpa_supplicant? The rest i'm able to do in scripting.
>
> Actually the association figuring i should be able to do in scripting as
> well, but i was hoping wpa_supplicant could do that because waproamd was
> able to.

I believe they have vaguely different design decisions, but I confess I
don't really understand what you are looking for here - I never used
waproamd, so I don't really understand it.

How is what waproamd did different from the standard activity where the
card scans for available network and, when it detects one, configures
the system to use it?

    Daniel

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--