[ltp] Re: Managing network connections

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:35:43 +1000

--=-=-=

Bret Comstock Waldow <bwaldow@woosh.co.nz> writes:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 00:02, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>
>> Then, finally, bring up the network manually.  For me 'sudo ifup wlan0'
>> is all it takes.  wpa_supplicant detects the network starting, does
>> authentication, and everything just works.
>
> A question - am I reading your example right to get the idea that this de=
pends=20
> on the SSID?  As a security matter, I told my router not to broadcast the=
=20
> SSID, so random hackers in the neighborhood don't know it's there and don=
't=20
> spend time trying to crack into it.

Well, I suspect you will find that makes very little difference to real
security, but whatever.

The default wpa_supplicant.conf comes with this note, which you can
include in any network block:

# scan_ssid:
#	0 =3D do not scan this SSID with specific Probe Request frames (default)
#	1 =3D scan with SSID-specific Probe Request frames (this can be used to
#	    find APs that do not accept broadcast SSID or use multiple SSIDs;
#	    this will add latency to scanning, so enable this only when
#	    needed)

Setting 'scan_ssid' should result in your network being detected and
accessed by wpa_supplicant correctly.

Regards,
        Daniel

--=-=-=