[ltp] Active Protection System

Paul Sladen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:33:55 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Jaime Iniesta wrote:
> Is the APS part of the hard drive? I mean, is it built in the HD?

The accelerometer chip is attached to the motherboard, not the hard-disk.

> I'm planning of installing Linux on another hard drive I have, not on a
> partition on the original drive. So I wonder if the APS that comes with the
> R52 will work also with that other hard drive.

Yes.  But at the moment there needs to be some funky kernel-code go in so
that we can safely filter the front of the IDE queue and stop operations
that would unpark the head occuring.

At the moment we can park the head, but not keep it parked;  so the
usefulness at the moment is limited to OpenGL pr0n and playing Neverball.

	-Paul
--
The summer is familiar here.  London, GB