[ltp] Re: Managing network connections

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:39:35 +1000

honey@gneek.com writes:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
>
>> A question - am I reading your example right to get the idea that this depends
>> on the SSID?  As a security matter, I told my router not to broadcast the
>> SSID, so random hackers in the neighborhood don't know it's there and don't
>> spend time trying to crack into it.
>
> Unfortunately, I think most even casual hackers will be using Linux,
> and the tool of choice for quick scanning will be kismet, which will
> detect wireless nets with cloaked SSID immediately.  To quote the
> article at:

Nah:  the most casual of hackers are the people who turn on their
system, pick the first available access point with a default
configuration and no security, and then use it.

For most people, unless you have a neighbour with technical kids,
turning on any sort of security moves the problem along to the next
house on the block.

      Daniel