[ltp] gain exclusive access to disk?

Josh Battles linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:24:12 -0500 (CDT)

Paul Sladen said:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Josh Battles wrote:
>
> Hello Josh,
>
>> I then disabled the security chip as well as Norton AV, but am still
>> unable to gain exclusive access to the drive so that PM8 can resize the
>> NTFS partition.  What am I missing here?
>
> Ubuntu has NTFS-resize support in the installer;  you should just need to
> set the HPA (Host Protected Area) to 'Disabled' in the BIOS.
>
> 	-Paul

I found that out after I had already used the qtparted tool on the system
rescue CD.  Either way, I got ubuntu installed last night and decided that I
didn't like it.  I configured it so that I could have a traditional root user
instead of using sudo for everything and got it working so that all the
buttons work except the center button for the eraser head.

I didn't like how it installed all these packages that I didn't want to
install either.  I expected it to install a few things but nothing like what
it did.  I think I may play with it some more today and if I can't get it the
way I want it, I may just blow it away and install Debian Etch.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com