[ltp] Preferred distro for Thinkpads? -> Mandrake issues

Marcin Trybus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:46:09 +0200

Ignacio Fernández Galván wrote:

> Me, I had Mandrake 10.1 on my workstation, and that was what I
> installed  on my R51. Everything went fine and I knew exactly how to
> tweak what I  didn't like... and I could just copy configuration files
> between both  computers. Now I've upgraded to LE2005 and it works even
> better.

Let's face it - I'm at best an advanced beginner in Linux. I value Mdk
(devoted user since 9.1) for the easy of use - I don't have to dig deep
to change any stupid little thing that annoys me when I don't feel like
doing so (or I lack the time to do it myself).
I was a happy user of Mdk 10.1 Official on my T23 since it was issued. I
upgraded to LE2005 and it worked *way*below*expectations* for me.
Comparing both versions in *out-of-the-box* state in LE2005:
- wakening up from suspend-to-ram while running X permanently corrupts
the display on _all_ text consoles (1 through 6) until reboot (my TP has
the S3 SuperSavage GPU) which in itself is annoying enough not to use it
- suspend-to-disk does not work at all (and it used to work in 10.1)
- the new mount management (with automount) failed to mount/burn any CD
on my combo drive, which BTW had 3 devices (2 of them are CD-ROMs)
assigned by default

How do you like that?

I don't know my way in ACPI issues good enough to manage the first two
problems. The last one is walk in the park, but still pretty annoying.

My solution: I installed the minimal 10.1 anew and upgraded it with the
2.6.12 kernel, some rpms from LE2005 and even more downloaded rpms.
Everything runs just fine now.

Regards

Marcin Trybus a.k.a. Llewelyn_MT