[ltp] "Missing operating system" when booting restore partition

Thu, 18 Aug 2005 00:36:52 -0700

> > On a Thinkpad G41 there were 2 partitions installed: hda1 NTFS and hda2
> > vfat.  I resized the NTFS partition but now when I boot and press enter
> > to get into the restore partion/system it says "Missing operating
> > system"  The partition is there.  It shows up when booted into XP as E:
> > I also rsynced the partion to a backup disk.  But for some reason now it
> > can't be booted.  Any ideas why it says "Mission operating system"?
> >

> The actual message that is displayed when the unit is powered on to
> select the restore partition/system is:
>
> "To interrupt normal startup, press the blue Access ibm button or press the enter key"
>

> I am confused about this.  Does the BIOS expect the restore partition to
> be in a certain location?  How does it know which one it is?

Okay, I've read up on this and found out about the Predesktop
Environment, which, yes, wrote over when resizing and moving partitions
around.  My one question is this: I still have the recovery partition.
If I can manage to boot into this partition and start the disk restore,
will it restore the entire hard disk including the Predesktop
Environment, or will it only restore the main Windows XP partition?