[ltp] Adding more cooling to the T42p

Peter Lemken linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 07:33:36 +0000

On Thursday 18 August 2005 01:16, David A. Desrosiers wrote:

[...]

> 	When I'm using OpenGL applications (i.e. my screensavers kick
> in while I'm away), my GPU heats up dramatically (73C+) and eventually
> the system just hard-locks and I have to forcibly shut it down.

Shouldn't happen. 73=B0 is by no means unusual for the GPU when running a=20
demanding OpenGL application and the computer shouldn't freeze.

Have you played with the graphics driver, i.e. switched between the=20
proprietary fglrx driver and the xorg radeon driver?

> 	I can cause it to happen by running bzflag full screen for
> about 10 minutes, and I can watch the GPU and CPU temperatures rise
> very rapidly, until the whole machine just freezes on me.

Shouldn't happen. Are you sure it's the GPU locking on you? Did you try=20
running memtest86 to check whether memory is OK?

> 	Another thing I've noticed, is that I can't set the
> 'cooling_mode' to 'automatic'. Its always set to passive (and yes, I
> even hacked up acpi/thermal.c in the kernel to force that to active,
> no change).

Try playing with ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net and use the experimental=3D1 flag=
 to=20
have control over the fan.

Peter Lemken