[ltp] Re: Managing network connections

Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:00:53 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, G. David Atkins II wrote:

> I actually wrote a java applet to do all this, and I have found that
> NetworkManager works better across the board.
>
> To use network manager, do the following:
>        1. Enable the NetworkManager service
>                sudo chkconfig NetworkManager on
>        2. Enable the NetworkManagerDispatcher service
>                sudo chkconfig NetworkManagerDispatcher on
>        3. Run the NetoworkManagerInfo applet in your Gnome desktop, and
>        save as a part of your session.
>                a. Login
>                b. Use Alt+F2 to run: NetworkManagerInfo
>                c. Logout and save settings
>
> The applet lists all available networks (wired and wireless), and
> whether they're encrypted.
> NetworkManager prefers the wired network. It only connects to wireless
> networks when one is selected from the applet.
> It will remember the wireless key associated with each SSID.

Nice - hadn't actually played with this before - seems to work in
XFCE too.  Unfortunately, it seems to be problematic with the
IBM/Atheros madwifi cards - the interface loses association every
20 seconds or so, or when the the applet is clicked.  I'm pretty sure
this is when it's scanning for networks - "iwlist ath0 scan" will
hang the interface while it's hanging, with a pretty wrecent madwifi.
Anyone solved this?