[ltp] Re: Managing network connections

Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:22:45 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, honey@gneek.com wrote:

> Nice - hadn't actually played with this before - seems to work in
> XFCE too.  Unfortunately, it seems to be problematic with the
> IBM/Atheros madwifi cards - the interface loses association every
> 20 seconds or so, or when the the applet is clicked.  I'm pretty sure
> this is when it's scanning for networks - "iwlist ath0 scan" will
> hang the interface while it's hanging, with a pretty wrecent madwifi.
> Anyone solved this?

Just confirmed this by telling the applet not to search for networks
- it fixes the hangs, but somewhat defeats the object.  My DHCP
server at home is actually a Linksys Wireless AP/Router with custom
firmware, so doesn't send out a full resolv.conf (I hardcode it in my
network profile normally - Fedora /etc/sysconfig/neworking/profiles).
I assume NetworkManager doesn't really like hard-coding and will only
use the nameservers provided by the DHCP server?  The docs seem to
imply so...