[ltp] Adding more cooling to the T42p

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:52:59 -0400 (EDT)

> Using ibm-acpi you can contro the fan with
>
>       echo enable  >/proc/acpi/ibm/fan
> 	echo disable >/proc/acpi/ibm/fan
>
> To use this feature, you need to supply the experimental=1 parameter when

 	The fan is on constantly when its reaching that temperature,
it doesn't matter, it still doesn't cool the laptop down. I could put
my hand in front of the vent for 5 minutes and scald myself with the
air coming out, its _that_ hot.

> Fan control scripts are provided at
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ACPI_fan_control_script

 	Yep, been trying those... no difference made. I have them
tuned to 40->65 and they still don't stop it from locking up.

 	The interesting thing is that the temperature goes up a *LOT*
more if I'm doing something related to OpenGL/dri vs. say... running 2
vmware sessions both defragging and building Xorg from source at the
same time. It keeps chugging along without any issues, but once I
launch something like xscreensaver-demo or bzflag, I get a lockup
within the first 10 minutes.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com