[ltp] Adding more cooling to the T42p

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:56:33 -0400 (EDT)

> Have you played with the graphics driver, i.e. switched between the
> proprietary fglrx driver and the xorg radeon driver?

 	I've never run the fglrx driver, always ati or r300 directly.
The only build of r300 which works without locking up the machine 10
seconds after I launch X, is 7/20/2005. Anything after that date (Xorg
+ Mesa + drm + r300), will lock up the machine, even when its at 40C.

> Shouldn't happen. Are you sure it's the GPU locking on you? Did you
> try running memtest86 to check whether memory is OK?

 	Memory is fine, I've run memtest many times on it. I just
added another gig of RAM about a month ago, and things have been
working great (though it feels no different than when I only had 1GiB
total, applications run exactly the same, even with more headroom to
play in).

> Try playing with ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net and use the experimental=1
> flag to have control over the fan.

 	The only "control" is to turn it on, or off. I'd like to be
able to control the speed of it. But I've always been running
experimental=1 with v0.11 anyway, since thats the only way to tinker
with some of the other features (ecdump, thermals, etc.)

 	I'll give this a whirl today and see what I can come up with.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com