[ltp] Adding more cooling to the T42p

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:59:46 -0400 (EDT)

> As far as a hardware solution goes, you could buy a laptop cooler
> http://www.hardwarecooling.com/default.php/cPath/33.  Its basically
> a platform with a couple fans in it to increase the cooling of the
> laptop as a whole.

 	With my previous laptop, a Thinkpad T23 (2647-9LU), I used to
have to point a 5" fan directly at the cooling slot to keep it under
control. That laptop ran so hot, it literally melted the black rubber
off the bottom of the unit. It also baked 3 drives beyond repair in
the laptop, which of course is not covered by warrantee.

 	Laptop coolers that are a "platform" under the laptop remove
the whole point of a laptop in the first place. You have to keep them
plugged in (or use both usb ports to drive them), and they reduce the
portability of the machine when being used. In most cases, you can't
really balance them on your lap either.

 	I'll keep looking. Maybe I'll wire a low-profile fan in there
with higher rpms than the standard IBM fan to offset the cooling
issues.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com