[ltp] Cloning a hard disk?

Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:23:16 +0100

Paul Kaplan wrote:

>>So I'm looking for a Windows software that will let me clone the IBM hard
>>disk, entirely, with all its partitions and data, onto the Samsung hard
>>disk.

Boot the laptop with knoppix. Then, something like:

dd if=/dev/hda1 | ssh root@des-machine -e "cat /dev/hdX1"

This assumes you have the samsung disk mounted in another machine.

Notes:

1)check my syntax - I am not certain it's correct

2)Remember to test the new image!

3)Think carefully about partitions. If you copy them over partition at a
time, you'll need to partition the new disk first. If you copy over the
entire disk (dev/hda rather than dev/hda1), then what happens if the two
disks are not exactly the same size?

Richard