[ltp] Preferred distro for Thinkpads? -> Mandrake issues

Ignacio Fernández Galván linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:52:06 +0200

Marcin Trybus, 17-08-2005:

> Let's face it - I'm at best an advanced beginner in Linux. I value Mdk
> (devoted user since 9.1) for the easy of use - I don't have to dig deep
> to change any stupid little thing that annoys me when I don't feel like
> doing so (or I lack the time to do it myself).
> I was a happy user of Mdk 10.1 Official on my T23 since it was issued. I
> upgraded to LE2005 and it worked *way*below*expectations* for me.
> Comparing both versions in *out-of-the-box* state in LE2005:
> - wakening up from suspend-to-ram while running X permanently corrupts
> the display on _all_ text consoles (1 through 6) until reboot (my TP has
> the S3 SuperSavage GPU) which in itself is annoying enough not to use it
> - suspend-to-disk does not work at all (and it used to work in 10.1)
> - the new mount management (with automount) failed to mount/burn any CD
> on my combo drive, which BTW had 3 devices (2 of them are CD-ROMs)
> assigned by default
>
> How do you like that?

Well, fortunately for me, I didn't have those issues. First, I upgraded
with urpmi, so I can't compare both versions "out-of-the-box" (and anyway,
I don't remember how 10.1 was when I first installed it). Then, with 10.1
I could not suspend to disk, eth0 just died and could only be revived with
a reboot, now it works fine, I guess due to the new kernel. The new
automount works fine for me, but I've never changed drives, it's always
with the DVD-RAM.

The only problem I've found is the system locks up randomly when starting
X. I have not been able to know why, but at least 1 out of 10 times I have
to hard-reboot. The workaround is easy: this only happens when booting up,
it has *never* happened (knock on wood) when suspending to disk and waking
up.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with LE2005. As for your problems,
could it be due to the graphics driver? I'm using the standard radeon
driver in Xorg.

Renovamos el Correo Yahoo!
Nuevos servicios, más seguridad
http://correo.yahoo.es