[ltp] Cloning a hard disk?

Jaime Iniesta linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:08:43 +0200

------=_Part_2561_11533748.1124377723991

Do you think this would work if instead of mounting the new HD on another=
=20
machine, I've got it mounted by USB on the Thinkpad?

I mean, boot the Thinkpad with a Knoppixx CD and 'dd' the /dev/hda to=20
/media/usb or whatever is called the new HD.

I want to clone the *entire* HD, not just a partition, to keep the hidden=
=20
Windows recovery partition.

Jaime

2005/8/18, Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk>:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Paul Kaplan wrote:
>=20
> >>So I'm looking for a Windows software that will let me clone the IBM=20
> hard
> >>disk, entirely, with all its partitions and data, onto the Samsung hard
> >>disk.
>=20
> Boot the laptop with knoppix. Then, something like:
>=20
>=20
> dd if=3D/dev/hda1 | ssh root@des-machine -e "cat /dev/hdX1"
>=20
>=20
> This assumes you have the samsung disk mounted in another machine.
>=20
> Notes:
>=20
> 1)check my syntax - I am not certain it's correct
>=20
> 2)Remember to test the new image!
>=20
> 3)Think carefully about partitions. If you copy them over partition at a
> time, you'll need to partition the new disk first. If you copy over the
> entire disk (dev/hda rather than dev/hda1), then what happens if the two
> disks are not exactly the same size?
>=20
> Richard
> --
>=20

--=20

Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit=E1n planeta
email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/

------=_Part_2561_11533748.1124377723991

Do you think this would work if instead of mounting the new HD on another m=
achine, I've got it mounted by USB on the Thinkpad?<br>
I mean, boot the Thinkpad with a Knoppixx CD and 'dd' the /dev/hda to /medi=
a/usb or whatever is called the new HD.<br>
I want to clone the *entire* HD, not just a partition, to keep the hidden W=
indows recovery partition.<br>
Jaime<br>
=3D"mailto:rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk">rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk</a>&gt;:</span><b=
lockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 20=
4, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
ware that will let me clone the IBM hard<br>&gt;&gt;disk, entirely, with al=
ssumes you have the samsung disk mounted in another machine.<br><br>Notes:
 to test the new image!<br><br>3)Think carefully about partitions. If you c=
opy them over partition at a<br>time, you'll need to partition the new disk=
 first. If you copy over the