[ltp] Adding more cooling to the T42p

Dax Kelson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:06:06 -0600

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 21:16 -0400, David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> 	I know you're going to think I'm nuts, but I need a way to get
> more heat off of the GPU and CPU than my T42p currently provides. I've
> been thinking along the lines of a low-profile copper heatsink,
> heatpipes or some other non-powered mechanism (something other than a
> glob of heat-paste).
>
> 	When I'm using OpenGL applications (i.e. my screensavers kick
> in while I'm away), my GPU heats up dramatically (73C+) and eventually
> the system just hard-locks and I have to forcibly shut it down.

Sounds like a hardware problem to me. I have 2.0Ghz T42p that I use
heavily almost daily for the last 13 months. I've never once had any
problem with over heating or hard locking. I've not had any heat issues
even during many hour long compile sessions with the CPU pegged at 2Ghz.

I do have 3D drivers installed (the r300 DRI driver currently).

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs