[ltp] Cloning a hard disk?

Javier (a.k.a AlBundy) linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:31:01 +0200

On 8/18/05, Jaime Iniesta <capitanplaneta@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody!

[...]
>  I don't want to make partitions on the hard disk, because I have another=
 40
> Gb Samsung hard disk. I'm thinking about installing Linux on that Samsung
> hard drive, and leave the IBM hard drive intact, with Windows, so I can s=
wap
> disks whenever I need to use Windows.

Hola Jaime:

1) To make many connections in hard disk connector is NOT a good idea.
All connectors have a finite lifetime, and if you damage internal
connector, it can need a very very expensive repair.

If you really want 2 hard drives, you should get an second hard disk
drive adapter, that fits in Ultrabay bay.

2) Knoppix CD has both "dd" and "partimage".

3) If you finally choose the "dd" option, you should add a bigger
"bs=3D" parameter, to get a faster backup, like this:
    dd if=3D/dev/hda bs=3D10M

The default block size is 512bytes. If your hard disk is 40GB, you
would need, approx:
     40 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 / 512 =3D 83-millions read/write operations

with a block size of 10M:
     (40 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024) / (10 x 1024 x 1024)=3D 4096 read/write oper=
ations

AlBundy
Madrid (Espa=F1a)