[ltp] Remove hidden partitions

Jaime Iniesta linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:48:40 -0400

------=_Part_3599_704471.1124401720846

Well I'll use Linux on my TP, but as it comes with a Windows XP license, I=
=20
want to keep that license as I've paid for it... I'd prefer to have it on=
=20
CD, than on a partition, so I can save that space on the drive, and is easy=
=20
to manage.

I have never needed such a complex recovery system, anyway. If things go=20
really bad with my computer, I just need to reinstall the OS from the CD,=
=20
that's all...

Jaime

2005/8/18, Bert Haskins <bhaskins@chartermi.net>:
> [...]
y=20
> plan is installing Ubuntu on the first drive. I think that the Ubuntu=20
> installer asks you if you want to erase all the existing partitions and=
=20
> create new ones, which is what I want to do to remove the Windows partiti=
on=20
> and that hidden one, and use 100% of the drive for Ubuntu.
>=20
> But... I wonder if that hidden partition is write protected some way,=20
> maybe on BIOS? If that is the case, what should I do to be able to erase =
the=20
> whole drive?
>=20
> I have not found this to be true.
> Repartitioning the drive makes the hidden partition go away.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I still wonder why IBM decided to waste space on the drive instead of=20
> supplying a CD with the Windows installer. Do you think that hidden=20
> partition is any good?
>=20
> IMHO this is probably one of the biggest ripoffs ever dumped on the=20
> consumer.
> Companys do this because (B)ill and (S)teve want them to so that $soft ca=
n=20
> make even more money.
>=20
> Hp and Compaq get around this by allowing the box to make one set of=20
> backup disks.
> The one time that I have seen this used to set the system back up after a=
=20
> virus attack,=20
> it did not work,
> After spending many hours on hold with HP and $soft the owner did buy=20
> another copy of wincrap.
> So, the system does work the way it was intended to work.
>=20
> If you make backup disks a condition of sale, at the time of purchase, yo=
u=20
> will generally get them.
>=20
> Just another really good!!! reason to switch to Linux.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> --=20
>=20
> Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit=E1n planeta
> email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
> jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
> webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/=20
>=20
>=20

--=20

Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit=E1n planeta
email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/

------=_Part_3599_704471.1124401720846

Well I'll use Linux on my TP, but as it comes with a Windows XP
license, I want to keep that license as I've paid for it... I'd prefer
to have it on CD, than on a partition, so I can save that space on the
drive, and is easy to manage.<br>
I have never needed such a complex recovery system, anyway. If things
go really bad with my computer, I just need to reinstall the OS from
the CD, that's all...<br>
a href=3D"mailto:bhaskins@chartermi.net">bhaskins@chartermi.net</a>&gt;:</s=
pan><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(2=
04, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

 =20
 =20

Jaime Iniesta wrote:<br>
.gmail.com">OK, so you know
I'm trying to clone the hard drive on my TP to a second
hard drive, just to put Windows where it deserves to be, on a secondary
hard drive, and use the primary hard drive to install Linux.<br>
So, when I finish cloning the original hard drive and everything is OK,
my plan is installing Ubuntu on the first drive. I think that the
Ubuntu installer asks you if you want to erase all the existing
partitions and create new ones, which is what I want to do to remove
the Windows partition and that hidden one, and use 100% of the drive
for Ubuntu.<br>
But... I wonder if that hidden partition is write protected some way,
maybe on BIOS? If that is the case, what should I do to be able to
erase the whole drive?</blockquote></span>
I have not found this to be true.<br>
Repartitioning the drive makes the hidden partition go away.<span class=3D"=
q"><br>
.gmail.com"><br>
I still wonder why IBM decided to waste space on the drive instead of
supplying a CD with the Windows installer. Do you think that hidden
partition is any good?</blockquote></span>
IMHO this is probably one of the biggest ripoffs ever dumped on the
consumer.<br>
Companys do this because (B)ill and (S)teve want them to so that $soft
can make even more money.<br>
Hp and Compaq get around this by allowing the box to make one set of
backup disks.<br>
The one time that I have seen this used to set the system back up after
a virus attack, <br>
it did not work,<br>
After spending many hours on hold with HP and $soft the owner did buy
another copy of wincrap.<br>
So, the system does work the way it was intended to work.<br>
If you make backup disks a condition of sale, at the time of purchase,
you will generally get them.<br>
Just another really good!!! reason to switch to Linux.<div><span class=3D"e=
" id=3D"q_105cb87febc9e450_4"><br>
.gmail.com"><br>
-- <br>
Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit=E1n planeta<br>
email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com<br>
jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org<br>
webs: <a href=3D"http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/" target=3D"_blank" onc=
lick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">
http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/</a>