[ltp] Re: several messages

Jaime Iniesta linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:56:22 -0400

------=_Part_3623_23910870.1124402182717

Do you think the hard drive caddy will heat up much my TP? I mean, my=20
external USB case gets quite hot when using the hard drive, and I guess tha=
t=20
if you use two internal hard drives instead of just one, your TP will get=
=20
hotter...

And, yes, it's been a slow process. 2 hours and still working. It's almost=
=20
midnight here, I'll let it working all night...

J.

2005/8/18, honey@gneek.com <honey@gneek.com>:
>=20
> Jaime,
>=20
> > It is taking quite a lot of time, 15 minutes now but I can expect
> > several hours maybe... This PC has an old and slow USB connector.
> > Anyway I want to try what happens with that.
>=20
> If it's USB 1 or 1.1 instead of USB2... it'll take a long long time:
>=20
> USB2 ("hi-speed"): 480Mb/s
> USB(1) ("low" or "full-speed" ha!): 1.5Mb/s, 12Mb/s
>=20
> - easy enough to do the arithmetic based on your disk size. Yes, the
> hard drive caddy is really handy.
>=20
> > Do you know if I
> > can decide which drive to boot from, on BIOS?
>=20
> Just hit F12 during boot - from there you can choose boot device type.
> To actually choose which boot *drive* you then have to go into the
> BIOS - "<Setup>" at the bottom of that menu from memory. Then flick
> through the boot options, find the hard drive, and I think it's F5 to
> swap boot order of the drives.
>=20
> > I just read on the archive that you can ask IBM to send you recovery CD=
s=20
> so
> > you dont need that hidden partition... this message was 3 years old on=
=20
> the
> > archive, is that true nowadays? Anybody tried this in Spain?
>=20
> This seems to vary greatly from country to country and salesman to
> salesman. In the UK, mine needed some convincing - they eventually
> sent me them as "a favour" but they said they would charge normally.
> Others seem to get them easily.
>=20
> Honey
> --
>=20

--=20

Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit=E1n planeta
email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/

------=_Part_3623_23910870.1124402182717

Do you think the hard drive caddy will heat up much my TP? I mean, my
external USB case gets quite hot when using the hard drive, and I guess
that if you use two internal hard drives instead of just one, your TP
will get hotter...<br>
And, yes, it's been a slow process. 2 hours and still working. It's almost =
midnight here, I'll let it working all night...<br>
J.<br>
@gneek.com">honey@gneek.com</a> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:honey@gneek.com">hone=
y@gneek.com</a>&gt;:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"borde=
r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-le=
ft: 1ex;">
Jaime,<br><br>&gt; It is taking quite a lot of time, 15 minutes now but I c=
an expect<br>&gt; several hours maybe... This PC has an old and slow USB co=
s USB 1 or=20
1.1 instead of USB2... it'll take a long long time:<br><br>USB2 (&quot;hi-s=
peed&quot;): 480Mb/s<br>USB(1) (&quot;low&quot; or &quot;full-speed&quot; h=
a!): 1.5Mb/s, 12Mb/s<br><br>- easy enough to do the arithmetic based on you=
r disk size.&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes, the
can decide which drive to boot from, on BIOS?<br><br>Just hit F12 during bo=
ot - from there you can choose boot device type.<br>To actually choose whic=
h boot *drive* you then have to go into the
.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then flick<br>through the boot options, find the hard drive, a=
read on the archive that you can ask IBM to send you recovery CDs so
d on the<br>&gt; archive, is that true nowadays? Anybody tried this in Spai=
n?<br><br>This seems to vary greatly from country to country and salesman t=
tually<br>sent me them as &quot;a favour&quot; but they said they would cha=
linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at: