[ltp] Remove hidden partitions

Jaime Iniesta linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:00:24 -0400

------=_Part_3631_3208920.1124402424442

What I'm really worried about is the Windows license. I didn't want to have=
=20
a Windows license, but as it comes with the TP, so I've paid for it, I want=
=20
to keep it.

Do you think that removing the hidden recovery partition without backuping=
=20
it, automatically makes your license non-valid? Or you could later install=
=20
Windows from a CD that a friend lends you, using your license number?

F*ck*ng licenses!

Jaime

2005/8/18, Jaime Iniesta <capitanplaneta@gmail.com>:
>=20
> That's what I would like to do, have the Windows installer on CD. In fact=
=20
> maybe, in case I need to reinstall Window$, I could use someone else's=20
> install CD and install Windows with the license number that comes with my=
=20
> TP?
>=20
> Just wondering. This way I could remove that stupid hidden partition and=
=20
> stop worrying about cloning the original disk, etc.
>=20
> Jaime
>=20
> 2005/8/18, jgidi@umd.umich.edu <jgidi@umd.umich.edu>:
> >=20
> >=20
> > Jaime Iniesta wrote:
> >=20
> > > I still wonder why IBM decided to waste space on the drive instead of
> > > supplying a CD with the Windows installer. Do you think that hidden
> > > partition is any good?
> >=20
> > I think it's a dumb idea. I've been told that it's because Microsoft=20
> > doesn't
> > want anyone distributing CD sets that can install Windows. Whether or=
=20
> > not
> > that's true, it sure sounds like typical MS.
> >=20
> > You can make your own set of recovery CDs using an IBM-supplied utility=
=20
> > in your
> > XP install. I recommend doing that before you wipe out the recovery=20
> > partition.
> >=20
> > Joe
> >=20
> > --
> >=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> --=20
>=20
> Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit=E1n planeta
> email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
> jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org=20
> webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/=20
>=20

--=20

Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit=E1n planeta
email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/

------=_Part_3631_3208920.1124402424442

What I'm really worried about is the Windows license. I didn't want to
have a Windows license, but as it comes with the TP, so I've paid for
it, I want to keep it.<br>
Do you think that removing the hidden recovery partition without
backuping it, automatically makes your license non-valid? Or you could
later install Windows from a CD that a friend lends you, using your
license number?<br>
F*ck*ng licenses!<br>
;:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid =
rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
That's what I would like to do, have the Windows installer on CD. In
fact maybe, in case I need to reinstall Window$,&nbsp; I could use
someone else's install CD and install Windows with the license number
that comes with my TP?<br>
Just wondering. This way I could remove that stupid hidden partition and st=
op worrying about cloning the original disk, etc.<br>
jgidi@umd.umich.edu" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLink=
(window,event,this)">jgidi@umd.umich.edu</a> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jgidi@um=
d.umich.edu" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,=
event,this)">
5436e2e_1"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px soli=
d rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
e space on the drive instead of<br>&gt; supplying a CD with the Windows ins=

I think it's a dumb idea. I've been told that it's because Microsoft doesn'=
t<br>want anyone distributing CD sets that can install Windows. Whether or =
r own set of recovery CDs using an IBM-supplied utility
home page is at:<br><a href=3D"http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/li=
stinfo/linux-thinkpad" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLi=
nk(window,event,this)">