[ltp] "Missing operating system" when booting restorepartition

Daniel O'Neill linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:01:59 -0700

> > In my experience, Rescue & Restore refused to work properly when I had GRUB
> > written to the MBR. If NTLDR (the Windows bootloader) is on the MBR, Rescue &
> > Restore works fine. I'm assuming that you probably have GRUB as your
> > bootloader, and it's on the MBR. If you can put NTLDR back on the MBR, I'm
> > guessing your Rescue & Restore will work fine. Unfortunately, that
> > leads to the
> > question of: how do I boot Linux?
>
> On my T42, Ubuntu picked out the predesktop area and called it "Windows
> NT/2000" and gave it a GRUB entry.  I'm able to access it directly from the
> menu listing in GRUB whenever I boot.

Hey guys,

Well, it looks like I pretty-well lost the ability to boot into it.  If
I press F11 at boot up (that is the hot-key to go straight into the
rescuse system/partition) is says "Missing operating system".
Interestingly, I can see that partition as drive E: under Windows.
Here is what boot.ini on E: looked like:

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=C:\
[operating systems]
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\ = "PC-DOS"

This is interesting because I don't see any PC-DOS directory anywhere on
C: nor E:  Perhaps this is what is imaged in the Predesktop Environment
that got deleted?

I noticed that partition should be (2) not (4).  Yet when I added the
entry default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect too boot.ini on C:, and then select that option from the bootloader at startup, it says:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

So I called IBM and they are sending me a set of restore disks.  I guess
I learned all about the Predesktop Environment the experimental way!  No
harm done.

--
Daniel