[ltp] Re: several messages

Jaime Iniesta linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:14:34 +0200

------=_Part_4096_16834566.1124439274339

Then I think I'll order the hard drive caddy. I don't really need running 2=
=20
disks all the time. I'll just use one with Linux, and keep the other hard=
=20
drive for the few times (once a month?) that I still depend on Windows.=20
Stopping the hard drive with hdparm seems fine; maybe just removing the=20
caddy and keeping it in the bag would work fine with me, as well.

Does this caddy replace the DVD combo, or can it be used at the same time?

Jaime!

2005/8/19, Felix E. Klee <felix.klee@inka.de>:
>=20
> At Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:56:22 -0400,
> Jaime Iniesta wrote:
> > Do you think the hard drive caddy will heat up much my TP? I mean, my
> > external USB case gets quite hot when using the hard drive, and I
> > guess that if you use two internal hard drives instead of just one,
> > your TP will get hotter...
>=20
> Well, if the drive is an ordinary 2.5" drive designed for laptops, then
> it shouldn't cause any heat related trouble.
>=20
> But, running two HDs will certainly affect the runtime of your machine
> when it's using batteries as power source. The solution is to shut down
> the HD that's not in use. Under LINUX "hdparm" is your friend. Under
> Windows, you could perhaps use ordinary power management or some
> S.M.A.R.T. tools. You can also configure the spin down timeout for a
> HD, causing it to stop rotating after it hasn't been accessed for a
> certain amount of time.
>=20
> --
> Felix E. Klee
> --
>=20

--=20

Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit=E1n planeta
email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/

------=_Part_4096_16834566.1124439274339

Then I think I'll order the hard drive caddy. I don't really need
running 2 disks all the time. I'll just use one with Linux, and keep
the other hard drive for the few times (once a month?) that I still
depend on Windows. Stopping the hard drive with hdparm seems fine;
maybe just removing the caddy and keeping it in the bag would work fine
with me, as well.<br>
Does this caddy replace the DVD combo, or can it be used at the same time?<=
br>
Jaime!<br>
ef=3D"mailto:felix.klee@inka.de">felix.klee@inka.de</a>&gt;:</span><blockqu=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204=
); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
At Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:56:22 -0400,<br>Jaime Iniesta wrote:<br>&gt; Do you =
think the hard drive caddy will heat up much my TP?&nbsp;&nbsp;I mean, my<b=
r>&gt; external USB case gets quite hot when using the hard drive, and I<br=
>&gt; guess that if you use two internal hard drives instead of just one,
y 2.5&quot; drive designed for laptops, then<br>it shouldn't cause any heat=
 related trouble.<br><br>But, running two HDs will certainly affect the run=
time of your machine
o shut down<br>the HD that's not in use.&nbsp;&nbsp;Under LINUX &quot;hdpar=
m&quot; is your friend.&nbsp;&nbsp;Under<br>Windows, you could perhaps use =
ordinary power management or some
ut for a<br>HD, causing it to stop rotating after it hasn't been accessed f=
ux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at: