[ltp] Question regarding graphics drivers and libGL

Wolfgang Karall linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:40:10 +0200

Hi!

I'm trying to set up my boot manager to give me two choices in the menu,
one so I can run the system using the Xorg drivers and one to use the
ATI supplied drivers. I don't trust those very much when it comes to
stability, and I can't get them to work with Software Suspend 2, but in
the seldom case I need to run 3D application or maybe later use the
TV-out (not tried yet), I'd like an easy way to switch.

The grub configuration is no problem, using a custom kernel parameter
which is later in the boot progress checked by an init-script I'm able
to switch drivers fine. One question remains, and that is the libGL that
comes with the ATI drivers. Obviously I need that version to get proper
hardware acceleration, but I wonder whether I need to switch back to the
Xorg version when using the Xorg driver. Or is the ATI version an
extension and I can use that one with the Xorg drivers as well?

Currently I'm copying the libGL that comes with the respective drivers
(plus the corresponding xorg.conf file of course) every time I switch
configuration, question is whether I can skip that step. Or maybe that's
not the only thing that differs? Do I need to do more than exchange
xorg.conf and the libGL files?

Any info or help appreciated.

Regards
 WK, happily using the DVDRW with the libata-SATA driver nowadays, no
     problem so far...
--
http://linux.spiney.org/debian_gnu_linux_on_an_ibm_thinkpad_t43p