[ltp] Re: Remove hidden partitions

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:06:27 +1200

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:20, Jaime Iniesta wrote:
> I just read on the archive that you can ask IBM to send you recovery CDs so
> you dont need that hidden partition... this message was 3 years old on the
> archive, is that true nowadays?

Yes, and you may have to pay for them.  Messages I've read suggest it helps to
say "I've upgraded my hard disk - can you send me the restore disks?"

However, if on powering on your Thinkpad, you can press the "Access IBM" or
"Thinkpad" button (depends on the model), and you get a working repair menu
then your current Recovery Partition is still working.

And it has an option to make those CDs right off your own copy, with the
proper serial numbers and everything.  You do need a CD burner, of course.

I did this, tested the CDs (they restore the Recovery Partition itself) and
wiped the Recovery Partition (unprotect it in the BIOS) then delete away.

I can't do this right now to check on the names of menus, etc., as I've wiped
mine and boot only into Gentoo, but it should be obvious enough once you
press the "Access IBM" or whatever button your Thinkpad has.

> > I still wonder why IBM decided to waste space on the drive instead of
> > supplying a CD with the Windows installer. Do you think that hidden
> > partition is any good?

Who knows (for sure)?  However, CDs means IBM has to take the steps to ensure
the CDs with your serial number go out the door with your Thinkpad, so it's a
lot more than just the cost of the CDs.  Incrementing a few bits in the drive
image can be done automatically, coordinating physical items means people,
checklists, sign-offs, reports, etc.

There appears to be some backup software in there (on my T42) as well.

Also, there are some diagnostics in there, and maybe IBM can access the
Thinkpad in ways that make their job easier, etc. off that software.

Cheers,
Bret