[ltp] Re: Cloning a hard disk?

Javier (a.k.a AlBundy) linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 18:14:27 +0200

On 8/19/05, Jaime Iniesta <capitanplaneta@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, too slow!
> =20
>  Anyway this was only for testing purposes. I guess that if I left it
> working enough time (days?), dd would have done its job.
> =20
>  But I found a better solution: creating recovery CDs from the utility on
> the preinstalled Windows, and "recover" Windows on the second drive. This
> should clone the hard drive, I guess. Then I can install Linux on the fir=
st
> hard drive.
> =20
>  And if that's too much trouble, I'll forget it and just install Linux on
> the second hard drive.

You should read first this link:
   http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_recover_the_preloaded_OS

And there is another posibility, not mentioned yet: resize the windows
partition to get free space for linux. I think (I am not very sure)
many installation programs (Mandr(ake)iva, SuSE) have an partition
stage in which you can make a non-destructive resizing of NTFS
partitions.

AlBundy