[ltp] Adding more cooling to the T42p

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:17:33 -0400 (EDT)

> 	Compiling doesn't seem to have any issues, its just when I
> tinker with something using heavil OpenGL, like xscreensavers or any
> GL games.

	Some more tests show that when I'm running X without any games
or heavy GL applications running, my CPU is around 43C and my GPU is
around 48C.

	When I launch bzflag, my GPU jumps to 74C in about 2 minutes
and climbs closer to 80C. I have a fan sucking the air out of the
vents and it keeps it around 74C-75C, and so far no lockups. I haven't
tried letting it run without the fan yet.

> 	Are you getting dri? I'm at >2600fps with r300 here. Which
> version of r300 did you build your tree from?

	I should mention I also tried building every version from 7/19
onward, and every single build after 7/19 will hard-lock my machine
within 15-20 seconds of launching X (no GL running at all).

	The -only- version that works is the 7/19 CVS for Xorg, Mesa
and drm (from the r300 tree, not the drm from freedesktop.org).

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com