[ltp] Re: several messages

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 20 Aug 2005 02:53:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Felix E. Klee wrote:

> At Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:56:22 -0400,
> Jaime Iniesta wrote:
> > Do you think the hard drive caddy will heat up much my TP?  I mean, my
> > external USB case gets quite hot when using the hard drive, and I
> > guess that if you use two internal hard drives instead of just one,
> > your TP will get hotter...

[...]

> But, running two HDs will certainly affect the runtime of your machine
> when it's using batteries as power source.  The solution is to shut down
> the HD that's not in use.  Under LINUX "hdparm" is your friend.  Under
> Windows, you could perhaps use ordinary power management or some
> S.M.A.R.T. tools.  You can also configure the spin down timeout for a
> HD, causing it to stop rotating after it hasn't been accessed for a
> certain amount of time.

If any partition on there is mounted, some daemon (bdflush?) will likely
keep spinning it up to flush the (empty) cache.  If you have swap on there,
it's almost a certainty.

A. A Top Poster                        \   http://www.fscked.co.uk/
B. Who's there?                         \   writing/
A. Knock-knock -- from bobward@xxx.com   \   top-posting-cuss.html