[ltp] Re: Remove hidden partitions

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:14:39 +1200

--nextPart1481488.a2qpqVhpBo

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 04:25, James Knott wrote:
> Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> > Who knows (for sure)?  However, CDs means IBM has to take the steps to
> > ensure the CDs with your serial number go out the door with your
> > Thinkpad, so it's a lot more than just the cost of the CDs.  Incrementi=
ng
> > a few bits in the drive image can be done automatically, coordinating
> > physical items means people, checklists, sign-offs, reports, etc.
>
> Do the CDs actually have the serial numbers?  Or, when one uses the CD,
> do they have to manually enter the product key?

I inferred this for two reasons:

1) Times I've tried to use a known good serial number from another copy of=
=20
Windows, it didn't work.  I assumed then that the CD is expecting a=20
particular serial number, rather than just a valid one.

2) At this page:
http://www.4saad.com/WhatsNew/Fresh_XP_Install/Step9.htm

is this comment:
 Note:   If you chose to use the key on the bottom of the machine to instal=
l=20
WXPP, you will need to activate your windows by calling Microsoft. To bypas=
s=20
the activation, follow the instructions below.

He's referring to a different key that comes with the installed image, as=20
opposed to the "official" key that's on the sticker.

Come to think of it, I'm not so sure that bolsters my idea.  But I'll still=
=20
refer to item #1 above.  About which I might be wrong.

As well, for this discussion, it is a good idea for me to mention that site=
=20
above - it might be of interest:
http://www.4saad.com/WhatsNew/Fresh_XP_Install/index.htm

Cheers,